Monday, December 31, 2012

NYE Party Appetizers!

I am a New Years Eve sucker. I love NYE because I feel like there are endless & unknown possibilities that lie ahead. It's such fun to guess what may come your way, but it's also a great time to reflect on what you'd like to change or accomplish in the next 365 days. I haven't finished my resolution list yet, but will share those on our facebook page tomorrow, so make sure you check it out!

Don't get me wrong 2012 has been great to my family - a house, a baby, a career change, good friends (old & new), and much more. However, I am excited for a new year because its the year my daughter will turn one, take her first steps and babble her first words. 2013 also will mark my husband & my 2nd wedding anniversary, 5th year of dating, will be our first time we go abroad together and offers the ability to grow & change the more we get to know each other. So I feel like its a good year to celebrate and am so lucky to have a good friend, Shauna, hosting a fantastic NYE get together tonight.

She has asked everyone to bring an appetizer, which I immediately thought of my take on Texas Caviar.  NYE is not complete without a little bubbly, so I thought Champagne Jello Shots would be something fun to share with friends. Both have turned out wonderfully & I am here to share my recipes!


Jenny's Texas Caviar
1 can of black beans (drained)
1 can of pinto beans (drained)
1 can of petite diced tomatoes (drained)
1 can of sweet corn (drained)
1/2 green pepper
1/2 red onion
1/2 jalapeno (this sucker was hot, so I used 1/2 but you could use a whole depending on your taste)
2 green onions
2 Goya seasoning Packets
1/2 avacado (added right before serving to keep it from getting mushy)
Olive Oil
Red Wine Vinegar
Garlic Powder
Cumin
Lime or Lemon juice
Salt & Pepper

This recipe is the best because you simply throw everything (besides Avocado) together in a bowl, mix it up and pop it in the fridge for 3 hours or overnight to let the flavors meld. I add the avocado & any additional seasonings, mix it up again and serve! This dish is generally the first to go when I put it out, so you may want to make a little extra!

Not the best photo - kind of looks like a scallop, huh?

Champagne Jello Shots

2 cups of White Grape Juice
1 cup of water
4 packets of unflavored gelatin
3 cups of Champagne (enjoy the leftovers immediately!)
Topping: gold sugar, pop rocks, sprinkles, etc

Add white grape juice, water & gelatin in a pan. Let the gelatin soak for 2 -3 minutes. Turn on heat and stir constantly until the gelatin is dissolved. Remove from heat and add the champagne. Pour the mixture into a glass pan, baking dish or individual shot glasses (or paper cups, ha) and place in the fridge for at least 3 hours.

Place bottom of dish in warm water to loosen up the jello before beginning to cut it out of the pan. Dip in whatever topping of your choice immediately before serving.

I hope you have enjoyed both of this quick & easy recipes. Enjoy the jello shots responsibly because they sure go down easy ;-)





No comments:

Post a Comment